Grief and Loss
While grief is a normal and mature and natural emotional response to a loss, it can be heartbreaking and devastating experience. The range of emotions experienced are endless and may include intense sadness, anger, disbelief, shame, guilt, and fear just to mention a few. When most people think of loss they think of the loss of a loved one. While we can never compare grief other common losses include divorce, retirement, loss of a pet, home, job or health. Mourning needs a voice. Moving through loss depends on emotional venting.
No one is immune from trauma. Not our friends, not our family, not ourselves. We can be traumatized by war, natural causes, natural disasters, violence or betrayal in our lives. For the most part, people are resilient however trauma can leave traces in our minds, on our emotions and even on our biology affecting our capacity for living. It is not uncommon for someone suffering from post-traumatic stress to be hypervigilant, detached, numb, angry, or feel like they are losing control or going crazy. With PTSD, the body continues to defend against a threat that belongs to the past affecting the ability to function in the present. EMDR, as well as other therapeutic interventions, can help you regulate intense emotions activated by trauma and restore a sense of safety and engagement to live more fully in the present.
Ways Counselling Can Help
- Process and resolve depression and/or anxiety
- Build confidence and self-esteem
- Overcome conflicts and strengthen your relationship
- Address relationship issues including communication, conflict, emotional intimacy, sexual intimacy, infidelity (including internet affairs), infertility, child/teen-rearing and blended families
- Learn to understand and manage emotions
- Quieten your mind and stop obsessive thinking
- Develop effective communications with others
- Manage or eliminate stress
- Overcome addiction
- Acquire a calm and centred approach to life
- Stop negative thoughts and negative self-talk
- Process and resolve previous life issues
- Set and achieve life goals
- Find purpose and meaning for your life
What is Trauma?
Trauma is an emotional response to a distressing or disturbing response that hinders our ability to cope there can be various life events or circumstances which can cause trauma in our bodies it is something that you may have experiences directly or indirectly it may have be once or repeatedly some examples include:
- Childhood abuse or neglect
- Work place accident
- Car accident domestic violence
And the response to our body in an event is to become stuck in the feelings of helplessness recycling the images, sounds or feelings. When trauma occurs there is a loss of control, safety, or trust and you may experience changes in your:
- Emotions may fell anger, irritability or panic or lack of motivation
- You may also feel lack of
- Motivation that is physical emotional that may cause isolation
- Nightmares or flashbacks
My healing approach is heart-centred, emotionally focused, and action-oriented. I use highly structured methodologies that will equip you with the emotional and intellectual tools to move through the pain caused by your loss and empower you to move forward in your life. I will give you the skills to cope and strategies to help you regain the confidence to live a life you love.
What is Grief?
Death can be painful and losing someone we love can feel devastating and lonely but death and loss is inevitable in life and an experience we are never really prepared for. When we lose a loved one as a result of an illness, suddenly or in an accident know your grief is real and normal because your relationship with your loved one was important and unique therefore how each person grieves is unique. People should never compare their grief or loss to someone else’s because grief is individual.
Some of the common symptoms of grief are drastic changes in:
- Emotions (may feel anger, irritability or panic or lack of motivation)
- You may also feel lack of motivation that is physical or emotional that may cause isolation
Therapy can help heal your heart after losing someone you love and being part of your healing journey you will learn how to transform you grief into happiness and learn how to change your feelings of sadness knowing that memories don’t have to fade away, and start to live in joy again.